History

  • The first Loomis Library was established in January 1899 by the Loomis Library Association. By theLoomis Library in the 1920s on Taylor Rd., next to Nelthorpe's. following spring, the collection had doubled in size to about 1,000 volumes.
  • About 1910, Mrs. Anna Blemer made her books available at the Blue Bird Tea Room.
  • In 1937 the Loomis Library became a branch of the Placer County Library and met in a room by the post office.
  • From 1954 to 1960 the library was in the McKellips Building. Magdalena Eckhart served as library clerk, with circulation of 400 to 450 books per month. In 1960 Jessie Helms was appointed library clerk until her retirment in 1973.
  • In 1963 the library moved across the street. Wilma Comstack served as library clerk from 1979.
  • In 1980, on land sold to the County by the Gates Family, a new building was built on Library Drive. The building was expanded a few years ago. Beth Enright served as library clerk until the County closed the branch in July 2016.
  • In November 2016, residents voted Measures F and G to fund the library as a municipal library. It is currently undergoing a phased reopening.