Many libraries throughout the county have established seed libraries and we are excited to join them. Seed-sharing programs aim to expand access to crops and educate the public, while also protecting scarce agricultural resources. Another common goal of seed libraries is to educate people on the unique plants and specific needs of the region, be it high-altitude, humid, urban, or rural. But each seed library is a little different. They encourage patrons to grow and save seeds to return to the seed collection.
How to Use the Loomis Library, Seed Library
- Explore the seed library catalog of seeds and select up to five packets of seeds.
- Please record which free seed packets your are taking with you. This helps with future purchasing decisions. Please limit selection to 5 packets. Enter the date, your name, seed type and the number of packets on the form.
- Allow at least one of your plants to go to seed and collect them to return to the library when the plant has completed it’s cycle.
Special Event! How To Harvest And Preserve Your Summer Seeds
On Saturday, August 4, at 10:30, the Master Gardeners of Placer County will be back to talk more about how to harvest and preserve seeds from your summer crops to return to the library for others to plant next year. Additionally, there will be a presentation about planting cool season crops.
FALL IS THE NEW SPRING! Did you know that you need to plant your fall/winter veg in July and August so that they get established while the growing season is still warm? Come and learn more about how to grow in the winter, starting in August!
- UC Master Gardeners of Placer County Placer County Vegetable Planting Guide
- UC Master Gardeners of Placer County Website
(we’ll have copies of these available to our patrons).
- Growing Library Garden Programs
- What Are Seed Libraries And Why Are They Important? An Explainer
- Growing Library Seed Programs – lots of links discussing seed libraries across the country
- Richmond, California Public Library’s Seed Program. It contains information on why we should save seeds, how to save them, what a seed library is, and gardening/seed related videos.
- Seed Savers Exchange How to Save Seeds
- Mother Lode Seed Library Homepage
- Seed Library Web Site
- Why So Many Public Libraries Are Now Giving Out Seeds
- Biodiversity Heritage Library
- Cool Beans! A free magazine that supports communities to launch, maintain and grow their seed library and local resilience.